DKP KCHR ML Wiki:വിവരണം
The KCHR is located at Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala State, India , in the multi-purpose cultural complex Vyloppilly Samskrithi Bhavan, at Nalanda. It is housed in the blocks dedicated to the memory of pioneering researchers of Kerala history, Sri.K.P. Padmanabha Menon and Prof. Elamkulam Kunjan Pillai.
The KCHR strives to integrate advanced research and scholarship with historical and social consciousness through its projects and programs. Pattanam Archaeological Research by KCHR has evolved into a major material culture study project involving leading Universities and Research Institutes in India and abroad.
The KCHR offers doctoral, post-doctoral and internship programmes and short term courses in social theory, research methods, epigraphy, palaeography and numismatics. Research, publication, documentation, training and co-ordination are the major domains of KCHR activities.
The KCHR has a well-equipped library and research resource centre with a fairly large collection of books on Kerala history and society. KCHR publications include thirty four volumes on Kerala society that are of vital research significance.
The KCHR has a three tier organizational set up with a Patrons Council, Advisory Council and Executive Council.
H E the Honourable Governor of Kerala is the Chief Patron of the KCHR.
The Chairman of KCHR is Prof. K.N.Panikkar, former Professor and Dean, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and Vice-Chancellor, Sree Sankaracharya University, Kalady. The Director is Prof. P.J. Cherian, former State Editor, Gazetteers Department and Professor of History, Union Christian College, Alwaye. The Executive Council of KCHR has nine distinguished social scientists along with the Principal Secretaries of the Departments of Higher Education and Finance, Government of Kerala and the Directors of the State Archaeology and Archives Departments, Government of Kerala.
Aims and Objectives
• To form a forum of professional historians to promote research and exchange of ideas on history.
• To create a comprehensive worldwide database of research on Kerala History.
• To publish source materials and studies to further historical research.
• To set up a library and resource centre with the latest facilities.
• To identify important research areas and initiate and encourage research in those areas.
• To organise and sponsor seminars, workshops and conferences for the promotion and dissemination of historical knowledge.
• To institute and administer fellowships, scholarships and sponsorships on historical research.
• To provide professional advice and direction for the proper conservation of archival materials and archaeological artefacts as a nodal agency of the State Archives Department and the Archaeology Department.
• To facilitate exchange programmes for teachers and scholars of history to provide exposure to advanced scholarly practices.
• To attempt to historicise areas like science, technology, industry, music, media etc. conventionally held to be beyond the range of historical analysis.
• To assist and aidthe Education Department in restructuring history curricula and syllabi, so as to instil the critical component in teaching and learning practices.
• To restore local history to its rightful position and help set up local museums and archives.
• To develop popular and non-reductive modes of historical writing.
• To undertake the publication of a research journal on Kerala History.
• To optimally utilise the electronic media and information technology in the dissemination of historical knowledge worldwide.
• To undertake projects entrusted by the Government.
Governor of Kerala [Chief Patron]
Chief Minister, Government of Kerala
Minister of Cultural Affairs, Government of Kerala
Speaker, Kerala Legislative Assembly
Leader of Opposition, Kerala Legislative Assembly
Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala
Executive Council Members
Three Senior historians or social scientists
Four Members of the Legislative Assembly
Two Members of the Parliament
President of a District Panchayath
Chairpersons of two Municipal Councils
Presidents of six Grama Panchayath
Chairman, Kerala Council for Historical Research
Nine Professional Historians
Vice Chancellor, University of Kerala
Principal Secretary, Ministry of Higher Education Depatment , Government of Kerala
Principal Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Government of Kerala
Director, Archaeology Department, Government of Kerala
Director, Archives Department, Government of Kerala
Director, Kerala Council for Historical Research